Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Field in the City


I've been telling you a bit about this place already, both in posts and comments. This is Field's, Scandinavia's second biggest mall...and to be honest; not a place I visit on a daily basis. It was opened in the central area of Ørestaden March 9, 2004. I actually remember it, not because I was there, but because half the pupils in my 9. Grade was missing that day. I saw some of them on TV that evening when they reported about the opening frenzy. Chaos is a mild word!


65.000 m2 of shopping, 140 retailers and 20 cafés and restaurants are the numbers for this mall. It does give the residents of Ørestaden ample opportunity to shop, but in a very concentrated area. Actually many of the shoppers come from Greater Copenhagen and even Malmö in Sweden. With a freeway just around the corner and a Metro station 20 m from the entrance it's not a big problem to get here. And there's more than ample place to park the cars too.


I'm no fan of malls, and this is no exception. I have to accept that it's there, but I do prefer a street lined with different shops you can dive into and out of (especially the latter :-)).

I do like the way they have designed the entrance. It reminds me of an entrance to an old Roman, Greek or maybe Egyptian temple with its columns and high roof. Well, I guess this is a kind of temple for the god of shopping.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness...this place is scary...when you read my post this coming Saturday, you'll understand why just looking at a place like this makes me break out in a cold sweat...Whew! It's enormous!!!! Nice architecture, though...and of course, the photos are brilliant as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like you prefer the shops on the street where you can walk around in a pedestrian friendly environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about malls and I am usually able to walk out of these places without buying anything.
    But I can't say the building is ugly, the front shot is quite a thing and surely I'll give it a try.
    What usually bring to an end street shops (I can say it for here) is usually the lack of friendly environment, but this is another story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mall is everywhere. It's not a big surprise with malls in big cities. Have you ever heard "mall goes to village"?
    I don't mind with mall, as long as there's bookstore+cafe, or craft store, or sale :), I think I can deal with it.
    PS: What happened with your pupils the next day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sniffles and Smiles: I'll look forward to hearing more about that on Saturday:-)
    @Henny: I think my pupils got a little extra homework to do. They had a bit of catching up to do, after all after a day lost. And they didn't even have the courtesy of buying anything for me either :-)
    @Vogon: I guess the real fault is the costumers. We go to where it's most convienient and cheapest instead of supporting our local stores. BTW thanks for the tag. I've passed it on now.
    @Julie: These areas with small nice shops are a dying breed, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)