Thursday, May 28, 2009

Under construction


Right next to the harlequin building of yesterday another strange building is taking form. This will be the new domicile of the law firm Horten. Even though it wasn't finished when I saw it last, this is another head turner in the making. The 3D-facade have a purpose; the building is closed to the south to prevent too much heat through the windows and the "waves" will create shadows.


Inside ventilation systems will make sure that a nice working temperature will be held summer and winter (if they work, that is) with a much lower energy consumption than is the norm. The facade is made of a sandwich of two layers of fiber glass with foam in the middle, something that has never been done before in a building. It also means that there's no heavy steel frame work.

I'm not sure if I like this building or not, but as with many other new buildings given time I might like it.

5 comments:

  1. This is a bit stranger than the harlequin building, I don't know what to think.
    But your first image is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! What wonderful photos!!! The first shot is amazing!!! Really innovative ideas at play here! Your architects are fascinating! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another very interesting building of which you have many!

    I'll have to give it time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the closeup photo, but overall the building looks kind of weird with the way the windows are done. I don't think anyone will warm to that building, even over time. Bad architecture is bad architecture no matter how long it stands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Clueless: All the windows have been angled so they face north to prevent too much light and thereby heat.

    @Clueless, Jacob, Asta and Vogon: As I said, I'm with you on being a bit sceptical about this one. I haven't seen the finished though.

    @Janine: Thanks for the praise. It's most appriciated.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)