Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Is Tuborg a harbour?


In the old days Denmark had a lot of competing breweries. Two of the biggest were Carlsberg and Tuborg. Those two merged in 1970, but Tuborg was still brewed at Tuborg Harbour in Hellerup to the north of Copenhagen. By 1996 this site was finally closed down and the production of Tuborg was moved to Fredericia. Left was an area open to develop into new office buildings and residents.

The club house and restaurant in the foreground

The developing is ongoing, but the area is shaping up to be rather nice. In its center is the marina, where the Royal Danish Yacht Club got a restaurant and its HQ. Around the marina are mainly new residences and some office blocks, and scattered around are contemporary art, mainly sculptures.

The sphere to the right is made by the
artist Jens-Flemming Sørensen and is
one of the many by him in Tuborg Harbour.


I'm not sure who the artist of
this thin lady is. Any guess?


Tomorrow I'll show you a really strange kind of bank in this area.

8 comments:

  1. Great pictures of such a wonderful place, it looks huge and quiet. The sculpture is splendid, remind me of
    Giacometti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great place, not much people around. I like sculptures in open spaces, Carraol is probably right: the lady look like a Giacometti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb photos. I have never been to Denmark, but it looks like a place I would love to visit:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos, once again...I have obviously fallen behind...as I have found two posts of yours on my dashboard today!!!! How did I let that happen??? Whew! I'm so glad I didn't missed them...because these were terrific!!!! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice marina scene. I have heard of Tuborg Gold, but didn't know where it came from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Tuborg and Carlsberg! Great beers in their day, too bad they are no more. I like the first picture with the still waters; and the outdoor sculpture is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My idea of art is usually something nice, not like in the last image :). If we had to play which image is best, I'd choose the first one.
    Is the yacht club only for royal families?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I've been a bit occupied at work for the last few days, so I've been behind in my comments. I'll try to make up for it in the weekend.

    @Henny: The club is open to anyone that can afford the fee:-) The Danish Queen Margrethe II is protector for the club and among the members you'll find quite a few VIP's.

    @Vogon and Carraol: I agree, it looks like Giacometti, but I'm not sure it is.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)