Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Turning Torso


I know, this looks like some giant child took his plastic model of a skyscraber and twisted it in a fit of rage, but in fact it's the tallest building in Scandinavia. As I warned yesterday, I would make a bit of a jump. This one is not in Copenhagen, not even in Denmark. It's in Malmö, Sweden, just 30 minutes by train from Copenhagen and just across the strait of Øresund. It's situated in a newly developed area called Västra Hamnen (West Harbour) and is quite a dominant feature here. You can actually see it from Copenhagen on a clear day, so I hope I'm forgiven this deviation from my theme.


The name is Turning Torso and it was designed by the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. It was finished in 2005 with a height of 190 m and 54 stories. The bottom two segments are offices and the rest is residential; 147 luxury apartments. The idea was to give Malmö a new skyline after the demolition of shipyard Kockum's gantry crane in 2002.



I'm normally not in awe about sky scrapers but I must admit, this one I love. Though I'm sure it'll be a challenge to furnish these apartments! And I know I couldn't live there, vertigo would set in the second I looked out of the window, so this is a no-go for me.


Tomorow I'll show you a bit of the surrounding area.