Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Turning Torso


I know, this looks like some giant child took his plastic model of a skyscraber and twisted it in a fit of rage, but in fact it's the tallest building in Scandinavia. As I warned yesterday, I would make a bit of a jump. This one is not in Copenhagen, not even in Denmark. It's in Malmö, Sweden, just 30 minutes by train from Copenhagen and just across the strait of Øresund. It's situated in a newly developed area called Västra Hamnen (West Harbour) and is quite a dominant feature here. You can actually see it from Copenhagen on a clear day, so I hope I'm forgiven this deviation from my theme.


The name is Turning Torso and it was designed by the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. It was finished in 2005 with a height of 190 m and 54 stories. The bottom two segments are offices and the rest is residential; 147 luxury apartments. The idea was to give Malmö a new skyline after the demolition of shipyard Kockum's gantry crane in 2002.



I'm normally not in awe about sky scrapers but I must admit, this one I love. Though I'm sure it'll be a challenge to furnish these apartments! And I know I couldn't live there, vertigo would set in the second I looked out of the window, so this is a no-go for me.


Tomorow I'll show you a bit of the surrounding area.

13 comments:

  1. The first photo is so cool and modern! I wonder how the architect and engineers created this building. great shot

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is probably better that I compliment you for your beautiful photos...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive pictures of such amazing building, the design is splendid and almost a science fiction architecture! Bravo for Calatrava.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fan of modern architecture like this. Lets make the skyline interesting not just square blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Engineers Are Fantastic Who Made This...Really Amazing And Great Capture As Well..Thanks For Sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely fabulous building!!! Of all the architectural wonders that you have shown us so far, this one is my favorite!!!! Phenomenal...And your photos are fantastic!!!! What I love about your blog is that you don't just show us lovely pictures, but you introduce us to knew wonders...you inspire us with your subjects...and you do it with brilliant skill and artistic flair! Bravo! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  7. To enter Malmo, need no visa and passport, isn't it? How did you go there, by train or crossing the strait? This twisted building looks like moving, especially in your first photo. This would be a yes-go for me :). I'm imagining such great view from it.
    PS: Awesome lens. Just joking about your new camera:). I found a second-hand D200 and had a crush on it, but I'd better get the most out of my camera now. Happy shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The building is simply amazing. It really does twist. It must have been very difficult to build but its final form made an architect every happy. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you. This is a skyscraper to brag about! Not sure I'd want to live there, being somewhat nervous about heights...and twisty buildings, but it certainly is striking. Great photos, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The building is stunning! I'm really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Henny: We don't even need a passport to enter Sweden from Denmark. After the Øresund Bridge was built, it's very easy to travel to Malmö from Copenhagen; 30 minutes by train and you're there.

    Thanks to all for your kind comments:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great and interesting post Chris. I thought the building has interesting architecture and reminds me of the new building being built in London. I also like your next posting talking about the new builds around this skycrapper. Thanks Chris and a have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  13. A building with a twist. Not an ordinary glass box skyscraper. Outstanding architecture!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)