Friday, May 15, 2009

A Sailing House?


This house is not special, except for one thing; someone actually thought when designing it. Big glass windows plus sun equals heat. That is common knowledge to most people. The way to combat that is either to remove the heat by putting in massive air conditioning systems (not so popular today with global warming considerations, and certainly not common in Denmark), or to shield against the sun. The latter is the solution in the Sail House. Instead of using traditional blinds or curtains they have used these white sails on rollers on the balconies that can be rolled in front of the window to shield against the sun...and nosy eyes too.



These 118 apartments are for rent only, and they're affordable for a family with double income, or a single with a high one. And as written on the sign, there are still some vacant apartments here.

4 comments:

  1. Been there, done that. Some brilliant mind so bright to rethink centuries of practical architecture with some cheap and foolish stunt. It obviously won't work, even under the Danish sun. Interesting building anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Had a moment...and thought I'd drop by...so glad I did...this is a fascinating solution!!! Great shots! Have a great weekend!!!! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos of modern Danish design in architecture are fascinating. I have been to Cpenhagen only once, and we sailed out from a pier near the palace and across from the Opera House that you use on your photo and that you showed on you site a while ago. I think it is a distinctive design in a striking location, but public access to it is a problem. Theaters enhance the surrounding area by adding patrons for restaurants, etc., but there is nothing else around there.

    Thank you for signing up as a follower of my blog. I have enjoyed your comments on my site and on Julie's Scottsdale (Arizona) Daily Photo site. I look forwward to following your site and seeing your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Dave and thanks for the comment. When I wrote about the Opera I forgot about one thing concerning traffic; the waterbusses. Actually these are the best way to reach the Opera. And your comment about there not being anything else near it, is right on the mark.
    Vogon, time will show if these sails will work or not, but I'm happy I'm not the guinea pig:-)
    And a graet weekend to Asta and Janine too:-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)