Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Beehive


At the most Northern end of Ørestaden is a large square building. It's called the Beehive Dorm, not because it resembles a beehive, but because it was funded by Bikuben Foundation (Bikube is Danish for beehive). With room for only 115 students this is a much smaller dorm than Tietgen Dormitory from yesterday, but it's not lacking in design, if you like squares and cubes.


The communal rooms such as party hall, laundry room, fitness room, study rooms and the like are not bunched together in one place, but rather distributed on different floors. 10% of the rooms are earmarked for foreign exchange students.


A very strange building I think, but certainly not without its charm. The architects have managed to break the symmetry by putting open spaces and staircases in peculiar places. It is a bit grey but the orange balance it out, so on the whole it's a very nice building.


What stroke me, when I visited it, was the words written in the ceiling and on pillars, words like knowledge, respect, tolerance and honesty. If the students here really live by these words, the world is going to be a better place.

8 comments:

  1. I can see the dorm stands not far from and old building. It's a good color combination between gray and orange. Is it expensive to live in there? A rather exclusive dorm with only for 115 students. And for the motivation words, well it's a reminder for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I have to believe the eye the place is original and appealing. I hope the solutions chosen have a positive impact on the life in the building.
    Let me dissent about the 'words' splashed around: I see this as the cheap and hypocritical things architects (or designers) do to impress customers and/or politicians.
    Nobody in the world is going to learn more or behave better for some words on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The building is interesting and it looks like to me as it it was designed as an exercise by the architects. How livable it will be remains to be seen, but I wouldn't bet on its success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting dorm buildings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some of the most interesting buildings! I'm not at all sure I like this, but I have a feeling one needs to see it and experience it in person.

    You're welcome re: moon shot stuff. By the way, if f11 doesn't work, ramp it to f16...

    Whatever can give you the detail. Sometimes a really bright moon needs a smaller f stop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your series on architectural buildings is excellent. I enjoyed catching up. Very interesting compositions, information, and architecturally interesting buildings. I enjoyed my visit to Denmark with its interesting designs and approach to life and style. Your photos ring true for some of the ideals of Denmark. I also like the words captured on the Beehive building today. good messages. Thanks for all of your comments on my site. I have enjoyed them very much. I am sorry I got a bit behind in responding because of work demands. I hope to see light at the end of my tunnel soon. I am preparing a night scapes series this week on my site. I was able to fit in a full moon photography class last Friday night so I tried this weekend to practice what I learned. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Henny: The price is about 350 Euro a month. That's o.k. by Danish standards.
    @Vogon: The words in themselves won't change anything, but maybe they'll make some think a little. If people see the same message every day they do tend to remember them, that is actually how adds work after all.
    @Clueless_in_Boston: As I haven't been inside, I won't speculate on it's liveability, but it seems they don't exactly lack students to rent out to. It's a popular dorm and allways fully booked, but that's the case with just about any dorm in Copenhagen. We lack dorms here big time!
    @CathM, Jacob and Julie: Thanks for your comments. They are truly appriciated, as are all other comments here:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's okey by Japan's standards, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)