Friday, May 29, 2009

A spot of green


Across the canal from Saxo Bank and Horten is a new mall called Waterfront. Not the biggest one in town this one sports 35 shops and cafés on a total of 32.000 sq meters.


What stroke me, as I passed it (and no, I haven't been inside, malls are not my thing) is the facade of this black square building. At a distance it looks like it got green spots all over, but in reality it's holes in the black steel with a green lining underneath that creates this effect. A nice touch, but I sure hope that they have thought about corrosion and drainage with all these holes.

9 comments:

  1. I really like this one...I hope it's practical as well...Your second photo is fantastic! I love this theme! So incredibly interesting! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they have anticipated that problem.
    It's nice to be back to this place again. You know, I lost words to tell you this past days :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great with green colour! Superb photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice and different facade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first thought is always what the eye see, but the second is always for practicality. I hope it's the same for the architect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It matches the canal. Certainly is unique and quite striking. I'd love to see it in person. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The green/black... an interesting effect. I'm liking it a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does look striking with the green showing through the holes. My guess is, soon the green will be real and the dark metal will turn to red/orange (rust). The building looks kind of boxy, but I guess that is the style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Clueless: It wouldn't be the first time that time have changed a building more than the architect had anticipated:-)

    Thanks to all for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)