Sunday, May 24, 2009

New Amsterdam?


Across from Sømærk from yesterday a whole new kind of city is developing, a city of canals and houses in different shapes, colours and sizes, almost like a city that has developed over time. Crisscrossing the city is a number of canals, so that the whole city looks more akin to Begijnhof in Amsterdam or maybe a modern version of Venice (without all the lovely art and architecture) than a new part of Copenhagen.


With more than 1.000 apartments this will be a sizeable neighbourhood when finished in the next year or so. In the center of the blocks are nice courtyards with greenery, playgrounds and benches for the residents.


When living on the first floors you'll have your very own platform for your boat or to swim from. This place got a lot of charm. Because all the buildings in the blocks are different, it feels like a "normal" city, built over time and well developed. The canals and the small boats there, the courtyards, the big open harbour, they all add to the charm of this area.


Again it's missing out on shops and cafés but here there´s room for them, as opposed to Ørestaden. I counted one supermarket opened and one pizzeria on its way, but there are some empty shops. Hopefully they'll be opened when all the blocks are finished.

7 comments:

  1. I could live here!!!! But it would be nice if it had the shops and cafes too! But isn't it beautiful!!! The buildings are softer in their modernity...they feel geometric, but homey! And that water is simply magnificent! Like those kayaks...have had a soft spot for kayaks since I was a little girl...my brother spent weeks building one...and it was even seaworthy! Your photos look like something straight out of a travel brochure...picture perfect!!!! Venice, you say...yes, this most certainly has that air! I really love this post! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it would be a very nice place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different buildings give to this area a normal look, as you say. I like it, I'll live there. How can they keep (if it is now) the water clean? Canals have still waters and build up smells...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this I really like! I could live here with no problem, and you can bet your bootie that the shops and restaurants will come as the place fills up with people.

    It's just gorgeous, and your photos are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this New Amsterdam. Your photos are excellent and really sho the uniqueness and great architecture of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Vogon: I'm not sure how they'll keep the canals clean, but maybe by using ebb and flow? There's no dead ends in the canal system, so it might be possible. I've seen other canals in Copenhagen that seem to collect stagnant water and garbage. That is not something you'll want outside your windows.

    I think I agree with the rest of the comments here; I too could live there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A picturesque development. While this is modern architecture, it is quite charming and appealing.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)