Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A big pretzel


Many Americans might think that the shop decorated with this sign is a sure place to buy a pretzel, but that would be wrong. It's the Danish sign for a bakery, and the "pretzel" shown is called a kringle in Danish; it's a huge Danish pastry, enough for 10 people. Usually it's bought in smaller slices. It's flaky layers of Danish filled with almond paste, raisins and apricot filling, shaped into a pretzel, just before it is baked, it is topped with sugar and sliced almonds. The crown above it shows that the bakers were appointed by the Court.

I found this sign in Hyskenstræde. Hysken is the old Danish word for outhouse and Stræde means alley, so this was the alley the night men used to carter the night soil from the city's outhouses to the canal around Christiansborg Palace. This must have been quite a smelly place once upon a time.

BTW Due to a busy work schedule in this and the following weeks, I might not be able to answer your comments as quickly as I would have liked, but don't worry, as soon as time permits, I'll get back to you. Another thing I'm neglecting at the moment is my visits to all of your great blogs; again I promise that I'll turn up when my time isn't divided between work, meals and sleep:-)

12 comments:

  1. Extraordinary series of old signs, for me one of the best is the sign of the black top hat, great design! Yes, you're right its very hard divided work, meals, social life, sleep and blogging, it requires a lot of discipline. Thanks again for the honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Signs you present here are just adorable! Pretzel is superb. Wonderful series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series, this is one of the best entries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm love pretzels. Its great to hear the history behind all the old signs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the thought of the danish pstries just make my mouth water! Great picture and interesting history. thanks for spreading the word and educating me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These signs are more appealing than the bright neon or paint on windows we have here. During the Christmas season is when our bakeries bake Kringles .

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Dusty Lens: I didn't konw you have Kringles in the States, but of course you have; with so many Danish emigrants something from the old country was bound to travel with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Indonesia, a pretzel is sometimes associated with pretzel-like butter cookies. That's one thing that's popular there, Danish butter cookies:). Would love to see a kringle taken with your own camera ). Of course if you have time for that :).
    It's 1 AM here and now this pretzel talk makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sign and the story of it is fascinating. I think I just might like the kringles, they sound absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Henny: I'll put it on the to-do-list, but I fear I'll have to buy it to get the photo. well, that wouldn't be the worst thing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tak, Christopher. You'll get two at once, kringle and a photo to share. I did that trick, too several times here :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I do not agree with the previous commentator - not so simple

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)