Monday, June 15, 2009

Fire


On a very red building in one of my favorite squares in Copenhagen, Gråbrødre Torv (Grey Monks Square) this sign is placed over a door. Translated to English it says:

The first stone
I have laid
Why I thank the Lord
What the fire have devoured
The Lord again have given
BKL 1732

This area was destroyed in a big fire in 1728, but hastily rebuild so that it's now a really nice square, lined with original houses from the middle 18th Century. In the center of the square is a big chestnut tree and some great restaurants can be found here, among them the (in Denmark) famous Peder Oxe.

The square got its name from the old Franciscan monastery that lay here from 1238 until 1530 were it was closed because of the excesses and life of luxury of these so-called beggar monks.

6 comments:

  1. Christopher, this is a great photo and a great story behind the photo. the story makes the photo even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo and wonderful story. Phoenix like - rising from the ashes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is fun and informative. I love your attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christopher... you are one of my favorite people...I am so very thankful for the internet as it enabled me to make a truly wonderful friend! Thank you! You know I will not waste time getting back to visit one of my all-time favorite photographers and valued friend... when I return!! :-) With much appreciation and gratitude for your friendship! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is quite surreal... A beautiful image of a fascinating piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the nice comments

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)