Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Theme start: Details


As I told yesterday, I'm starting a new theme today, details of the city. In this theme I'll show you lamps and poles, stone carvings and figurines, doors and windows, signs and posters, and all manner of details in the city of Copenhagen. I might not write so much to each post and I will only post a few photos at a time, but I'll try to show you what I think is the most important in a city, the details. A city can have great buildings and roads and loads of people, but what really defines it, is the smallest of details.

Today's image is from Toldboderne, the old tax booths on the wharf of Langelinie. Here a couple of dragon lamps give light to the area. They were designed by Vilhelm Dahlerup in 1892. They don't make them like this anymore...or rather that was what I thought! I'll show you tomorrow how sadly mistaken I was.