Monday, June 8, 2009

Visit the stars!

A fitting end of my theme, a building bathed in a sunset

Right next to one of the artificial lakes that ring the old part of Copenhagen is a building that houses the biggest IMAX theater in Copenhagen, the Tycho Brahe Planetarium. It's named after renowned Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, who is known for his many observations on the movement of stars and planets. The legend tells that he died in Prague of a burst bladder at a Royal dinner, because he couldn't leave before the king.

The fountains make for good rainbows

The Planetarium's star projector can show 4.000 stars and the solar system, and underneath is a small museum. It also got a great restaurant appropriately called Cassiopeia. The building was a gift by Bodil and Helge Petersen to the Urania Foundation, and it was finished in 1989.

This concludes my theme of modern buildings. I've missed out on quite a few, but I think it's time to move on, before you get too bored with buildings. I'll stay in town, so to speak because my new theme starting tomorrow will be about what really defines a city, the details.