Monday, June 8, 2009

Visit the stars!

A fitting end of my theme, a building bathed in a sunset

Right next to one of the artificial lakes that ring the old part of Copenhagen is a building that houses the biggest IMAX theater in Copenhagen, the Tycho Brahe Planetarium. It's named after renowned Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, who is known for his many observations on the movement of stars and planets. The legend tells that he died in Prague of a burst bladder at a Royal dinner, because he couldn't leave before the king.

The fountains make for good rainbows

The Planetarium's star projector can show 4.000 stars and the solar system, and underneath is a small museum. It also got a great restaurant appropriately called Cassiopeia. The building was a gift by Bodil and Helge Petersen to the Urania Foundation, and it was finished in 1989.

This concludes my theme of modern buildings. I've missed out on quite a few, but I think it's time to move on, before you get too bored with buildings. I'll stay in town, so to speak because my new theme starting tomorrow will be about what really defines a city, the details.

11 comments:

  1. Another fabulous shot. The sunlight and design of the building come together for an artsy and interesting photo. Your series has been superb.Thanks for your comments on the Phoenician and Camelback Mountain series on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something out of my young boy SciFi-induced dreams. Really an impressive and beautiful compound. I am a bit sad that you ended this series, but I'm quite sure you'll amze us again with the new theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been curious with stars and planets sadly never have the chance to visit a planetarium.I'm gonna miss this series. I sent your link to my architect friend and she liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris you have done it again with this great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture of the rainbow in the fountain. It looks like a fan. Wonderful capture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you finish the theme with a fantastic flourish!!! These two photographs are simply wonderful!!! I love the IMAX theatre! Wow! What a wonderful building...its shape, its color...love it! And the fountain fan? Well, that is just a terrific shot...rainbow and all!!! You are superb! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bladder story is so sad. But I've truly enjoyed this series and these beautiful buildings today provide an excellent way to conclude...

    That theater is simply splendiforous...

    Please note that I've awarded you the Honest Scrap award, which, in spite of its name is a serious and very prestigious award! You should be very proud!

    Please pick up your award at Creative Confections (which is my poetry blog):

    http://jacobsconfectionary.blogspot.com

    Enjoy! And have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A thousand thanks for the award, Jacob. I'm proud and humbled! I'll have to think a little about this one, so I'll post the award in the coming day(s) :-)

    And thanks to you all for your comments. They are very appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christopher, today is an Award Day so please pop to my Daily Haiku http://joo-dailyhaiku.blogspot.com/ - I also left something for you:)
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @joo: Again I'm deebly honoured. I'll pick it up and present it in the following days:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab pix, Christopher!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)