Sunday, June 21, 2009

Need a colour?


People seeing this building for the first time gets a bit surprised, to say it mildly. This explosion of colours is a cinema called Palads Theater in central Copenhagen. Originally a white building built in 1918 to house the Palads Theater, it was re-painted in 1989 by Poul Gernes to the horror of quite a few of the citizens. Now it's considered a landmark. I admit, when I first saw it, I thought that it was one of the ugliest sights I'd ever seen, but now I have warmed to it.

5 comments:

  1. It is explosion of colours indeed, but I like it. I can imagine that in dull rainy day it really works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say it is colorful. Quite different from the typical whiteish building colors. It is quite bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the colors are rather warm, so I can see where you have warmed to it!

    Reminds me a little of Boca Raton, Florida which is awash in bright, airy colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a bit too much, but I'm sure that I'll like it more with time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Joo remarks this is a light on a grey and dull rainy day. Most people in Copenhagen have warmed to the building's new colours, so I think they would miss it now, if it was repainted in white.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)