Thursday, April 30, 2009

A personal one


This church has a special meaning to me even though it's quite an ordinary one. It's the church were my parents got married quite some years ago and it's placed in the harbor town of Korsør on Zeeland. Korsør Church is also called St. Paul's Church and is placed in the middle of this provincial town. It's from 1871 and replaced a medieval church called St. Gertrud's Church. The tower is facing East because they wanted to have the tower with the entrance to face towards the town.

In Korsør you can also find the World's oldest cinema still in use. It's from 1908 and from a time where Danish movies were in front and the Danish actors like Asta Nielsen were superstars. Then came sound movies and Danish wasn't, and isn't, exactly a World language.

6 comments:

  1. A lovely church...and Korsor has quite a history! Love the personal and anecdotal stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post even for your personal story. I didn't know that Danish movies were so important, obviously now you have to show us, sooner or later, the oldest cinema in the world!
    This brick church is a really fine building and I like the touch of the waving flag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vogon, I haven't photographed the cinema yet, but it's on my to-do list for the next time, I'm in town:-) The city is worth a visit, but as Asta tell it's not as busy a town as in the days with the ferry to Funen and the railway station right in the middle of town. Now the railway station goes around town to hit the Great Belt Bridge, which btw is the world's third largest suspension bridge. You can see the bridge from town and that I've got a photo of: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6194167

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned something new; making links in comments:-) So here is the link to the photo of the Great Belt Bridge as seen from Korsør Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought everyone knows that Denmark contributed significantly to the early development of motion pictures? Well, maybe non :-) Here's a link in case you want to read a little about the early days of motion pictures in Denmark - and the World: http://www.infoplease.com/cig/movies-flicks-film/danish-directions.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know this church is special for you and your parents and for Korsor.
    It's your photo on Panoramio :).
    To Christian, no I didn't know that. Shame isn't it? :(. I watched too many Hollywood movies apparently.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)