Sunday, April 12, 2009

Our Lady


The Church of Our Lady is both the Cathedral for Copenhagen and the National Cathedral for Denmark. It's build in Neo-Classical style and was completed in 1829. It replaced a church (actually the second church at the site) that was destroyed during the English bombardment of Copenhagen i 1807. The tower was build after public demand because you simply couldn't build a church in Denmark without a bell tower. Among the four bells is the oldest in Denmark, cast in 1490 and the heaviest, "Stormklokken", with a weight of 4 tons. The last major event in the church was the wedding of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary Donaldson.

Tomorrow I'll tell you a little about the interior of this church which is magnificent.

12 comments:

  1. OooHhhh... lovely to stumble into your blog space. I just love architecture especially church buildings and your last four posts (Bognese Church, St Bendts Church, Five Towers & our Lady) are amazing. I love the historical narrative that you give with each too. Your photography is absolutely beautiful in the way you capture the story woven with the image. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the interior of this church. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is difficult to add something to the comment of CathM, which I obviously endorse completely. Excellent post, these church buildings are impressive. Waiting for tomorrow post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the crisp silhouette of the church against the deep blue...and the skeletons of the trees fingering the cathedral's stonework. Extraordinary! You are truly a gifted photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments and a warm welcome to CathM. I'm glad you enjoy my posts :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)