Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bogense Church


As I told yesterday my new theme on churches and the like begins today. My first image is of this little and very nice church in Bogense on the north of the island of Funen in Denmark. I've never actually lived in this town, but I've spend a lot of my holidays there for 35 years so I know this church pretty well. Most photos of it are actually taken from the opposite direction but then I think it gets obscured by trees.

St. Nicolaj Church, as its real name is, was build on top of a hill in 1406 on the site of an older church. The roof of the tower is covered in tarred wood chips and is facing south-east. That is a bit peculiar because most church towers in Denmark face west, but it might be to avoid soil erosion or because it has been used as a beacon for the ships.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful architecture of this white church, the tower is incredible, its roof is almost the size of the building. Great composition with the garden in the foreground!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new set of photos of an interesting subject and a very good start: this image is perfect in colors and framing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous shot! Very artistic and fantastic composition! Thanks for the treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all these clean lines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments to all. I've actually been to Bogense for the past couple of days to help renovate a house not quite this old, but old enough. You can see a picture of it here http://lh3.ggpht.com/_PxftgMOcmm4/SJa-YISkyBI/AAAAAAAAO_8/xvgZK4d4JZY/s720/2008-07-29DSC_0824.JPG. It's an old merchants house from around 1750 and it needed a bit of paint.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)