Sunday, September 6, 2009

Nicely groomed


Gladsaxe Fort is a nicely groomed fort, especially after having seen Lyngby Fort and Bagsværdfortet. It has been returned to, almost, its original look and here someone is actually caring for it. It's triangular like most of the other forts built in the late 1880's and was armed with 120mm howitzers manned by 120 soldiers. After its decommissioning in 1922 it was sold to a brewery that burned down in 1940.



It was renovated by the Gladsaxe municipality in 1978 and given over to a local Home Guard Company in 1983. Parts of the fort have been removed to make way for a highway just to the north and west of it, but otherwise it's in fine condition.