Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Red triangel


My new theme for the coming days (or maybe weeks) is reflections. Reflections is something I have written about before in Danish and it is one of the things I always looks for when I'm photographing. It can add symmetry and sometimes surrealism to the photo. Reflective materials are everywhere; glass, water, steel, ice or any of a number of other materials surrounds us everyday so it's easy to find a worthy object to photograph. I either have both the "real" object and its reflection or just the reflection by itself.

The first one I'm bringing is this one of the bow of a small sailing boat taken in a marina. At first it can be difficult to tell exactly what it is but then more and more details emerge and suddenly you can see the whole picture. The tricky part is to tell where the bow stops and the water begins. I had to take a couple of shots before I got it right but I like the result!

7 comments:

  1. It's not easy, it took me some time to figure that the reflection is somewhat amplified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting photo, very difficult to determine the bow's beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous26/3/09 05:28

    Nice fusion between the subject and its reflection. So subtle, that one will find it a challenge to see where the reflection emerges and where the subject's edge diffuses. White trim lines and blue background evokes serenity as well.

    Would be interested to see more pictures with this theme.

    White rope on the lower right, I think is better, if taken out of the frame. Overall, it is impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice comments.

    @rvin-alps: I thought about taking the rope out of it, but it wasn't possible to avoid it when I took the photo (except by untying it - and the boat's owner probably wouldn't have liked that one bit :)). Of course I could have edited it out afterwards, but I do prefer not to edit my photos too much. I think it's better to get it right when shooting. But thanks for your comments and suggestions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this a lot. The asymmetry and light on the right adds a lot of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reflection of colorful boat in water always be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)