Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Copenhagen Eye


Remember Palace Theater from my post Need a colour? It's fresh colours can be a bit difficult to see at the moment as a new addition to life in Copenhagen has taken root next to it; a giant ferris wheel. With its 50 meters height, this one is not nearly as big as London Eye (which is 135 m high), but it is the biggest of its kind in Scandinavia. The premiere was pushed from last week to Monday because the permission from the municipality was delayed. The engineers were worried about the soil underneath. They weren't quite sure that it could support the heavy construction, but luckily new samples of the soil showed that it should be strong enough. Well, it wouldn't have been good if it suddenly keeled over into either the Palace Theater or the Circus Building:-)


The ferris wheel is operated by Great City Attractions, who also runs London Eye among others. The agreement is for three months and then the municipality will decide if it should be dismantled or kept running for six months.

1 comment:

  1. Hee hee hee... what a coincidence! This last weekend I popped up the Manchester Wheel with a friend who was up on a day trip from London. Incidentally, I have never had the courage to attempt the bigger London Eye and I missed the Birmingham Wheel before it's departure to Melbourne. Back to my time on the Manchester Wheel... well, it was an experience I won't be trying again very soon as I found that my fear of heights was not lessened even in a steady-moving and glass-enclosed nodule. Still, it was a worthwhile experience :) Btw, I love the photo angles, Christopher!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)