Saturday, April 7, 2012

Latin quarter



Looking out from the Rundetårn towards the west one can see a large part of the Latin Quarter of Copenhagen.

This area is home to Copenhagen’s university, where Latin used to be the spoken language. One of the oldest areas in the city, it is full of 17th-century buildings that were built by the architect king, Christian IV. Although there have been dwellings here since medieval times, most of them were destroyed in the disastrous fire that spread across Copenhagen in 1728 . Today, the Latin Quarter is a lively and bustling student area brimming with shops and cafés.

-RS