Monday, August 24, 2009

A pitch house


On Dragør Harbour is this funny little house. It's called a pitch house or cooking house and it was used to boil tar and pitch for the boats and to cook meals for visiting sailors. The house is from 1770 and it replaced an older one that was torn down when the harbour was expanded. This house was a necessity in an age where open fire on board the boats was strictly prohibited when moored due to the risk of fire; open fire and wooden boats covered with tar, hemp ropes and cotton sails make for a bad combination. These houses were found in all harbours but only three remains in Denmark, one each in Dragør, Assens and Ærøskøbing.

1 comment:

  1. This is my first visit to your blog . . I found it quite by chance and, I think I'm gonna like it. Just love your photos and the history you provide. Look forward to catching up with some of your earlier posts. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)