The island of Amager lies just south-east of Copenhagen with parts of the city sprawling on it. With new developments in the western parts, a big airport in the middle and green areas to the south this island also have some small communities with a long history. One of these communities is the village of Store Magleby. Its history goes back to the medieval times but its glory first began in 1521 when the Danish King Christian II invited farmers from the Netherlands to settle here to grow better vegetables for the palace. All the way to the mid-19th century these farmers where exempt of taxes as long as they kept their language and culture.
Their church was this one in Store Magleby which they were given by the king. The plaque above tells that it was renovated by King Christian IV in 1611.