Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Just

The Matyas Fountain or Matthias Fountain at the Budapest Palace on Castle Hill was made in 1904 by Alajos Stróbl in honour of king Matthias Corvinus and his beloved Ilonka. It depicts a hunting scene with falconers, hunters, deer and dogs. Ilonka, the peasant girl he according to legend fell in love with during a hunt, can be seen under the columns to the right. Called the Just Matthias was King of Hungary, Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Rama, Serbia, Lodomeria, Cumania and Bulgaria, Prince of Silesia and Luxembourg, Margrave of Moravia and Lusatia.