Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Black Sun


In Denmark we got an expression called sort sol (literally black sun). This is when a great flock of birds (often starlings) almost blackens the sun and the sky at sunset and is a phenomenon mostly seen in marsh areas at autumn. Big was my surprise to see this bird flock in Ljusdal in Sweden at wintertime. I think they are waxwings as these are the only birds I've seen in big numbers around here. With this setting of the sun, I'll end my theme from this winter-locked Swedish town for now. Tomorrow a new theme will start with the urban wildlife of Copenhagen and surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)